Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike

Default Small Kiln for Turning Blanks

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
P.S. I strongly recommend you read William H. Brown's Conversion &
Seasoning of Wood and take a look at Ron Kent & Leif O. Thorvaldson's info
on using liquid dishwashing detergent to prevent cracking at
http://wwwronkent.com/rontech.html
I am interested in their technique.........but they say use kirkland LDD (
costco's house brand) but my closest costco is 2 hours away oneway plus $45
membership which will never get used. I also am exploring options. Word is
not yet in as to whether or not other brands of LDD will. I wore out google
and yahoo trying to establish who make kirkland and what it has in it. No
luck so far.

I've heard that Kirkland is mainly water. I use SunLight (stick with Yellow,
not Green) but have used other cheep store brands before. They all seem very
concentrated - since I have not tried Kirkland I can't compare, but they all
seem to work, at concentrations about 1 or 2 bottles for one 6-gallon bucket
(maybe 4 gallons of water).

mike