Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg Lyman

Default Small Kiln for Turning Blanks

Ralph,
Yes I have used my microwave for small pieces on occasions, but most of my
stuff is too large to fit in my kitchen unit. Thanks for your thoughts.

Greg

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
"Greg Lyman" wrote:

Anyone have experience in building and operating a small kiln for drying
say
20 to 50 turning blanks at a time. I am primarily interested in
construction materials and operating information - not how kiln versus
air
drying affects properties of the wood. Primary wood I am interested in
drying is English Walnut. Thanks!

Greg, as an alternative, have you looked a microwaving the blanks (one
at a time). The reading I done suggests that it works well, the usual
warning of not rushing (ie setting the wood on firre).
I'm going to try it, once I have some wet wood.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv