Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg Lyman

Default Small Kiln for Turning Blanks

Lyndell,
Thanks for the references. I don't have any problem with cracking, because
most of what I work with is English Walnut trunk wood and Black Walnut root
burl and I have learned how to prepare the wood properly for air drying
before and after roughing out. I do roughout a limited number of pieces,
but store most until I (or someone else) may decide what they want to be.

The only wood I have experience with and have found challenging to keep
together is Apricot. I do rough turn it and love it. I have tried the LDD
process on Apricot over a period of a couple of years and many pieces some
in the pot and some cured more conventionally. I have noticed no difference
in results with this wood. Results may vary with other types of wood, and I
know there is a group of believers out there in this process. So, it
undoubtedly has some merit, at least for them. I have also used PEG with
good results, but it is a long process and one that has consequences I
choose to avoid.

Our rule of thumb here in the desert (Albuquerque, NM) for air drying most
hardwoods to EMC is one inch per year plus a year. Tracking the change in
weight tends to confirm that this is a pretty good guide for this climate,
at least for the wood I get. I'm just interested in reducing this time to
reduce storage space. Thanks again for the references.

Greg

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Check out this guys homemade kiln. The web address keeps changing, but I
have followed it for a couple of years. I am going to build one asap (I.E.
in the next three to five years :-). I have some of the matierial already
laid back in the barn.
Good Luck Lyndell
P.S. I strongly recommend you read William H. Brown's Conversion &
Seasoning of Wood and take a look at Ron Kent & Leif O. Thorvaldson's
info
on using liquid dishwashing detergent to prevent cracking at
http://wwwronkent.com/rontech.html
I am interested in their technique.........but they say use kirkland LDD (
costco's house brand) but my closest costco is 2 hours away oneway plus
$45
membership which will never get used. I also am exploring options. Word is
not yet in as to whether or not other brands of LDD will. I wore out
google
and yahoo trying to establish who make kirkland and what it has in it. No
luck so far.

http://woodworking-woodworking.com/homekiln.html