Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Richard Stapley

Default Small Kiln for Turning Blanks

Greg I built my Small Kiln about 5 years ago and it is in constant use and I
hope to add details to my hints and tips section of my Web Site in the
future.

I built it under my Bench by forming a box which I then lined with
Polystyrene Insulation faced with Hardboard covered in Aluminium Foil
[Kitchen Type will prevent moisture penetrating through wall of Kiln] made
sure that all joints are Vapour Sealed [Important] by using Good Quality
Waterproof Sealant Mastic.

Formed a small Duct across the top with an opening at each end, at one end I
fitted a small Fan [Ex-A/C Unit] and then used a 80 Watt Tube Heater
upstream of the Fan.

Fit a drain to allow Water to run away.

Door is a Insulated Plug Door that Bolts onto the Front of the Kiln again
lined with the Foil and a Rubber Gasket to form a Seal.

Fitted a Thermostat to switch the Heater on/off.

Start the process at 35°C for 1 month then 40°C for next month and then upto
45°C for final month.

Purists will say this is all wrong.

But I have now had something like 20 loads [upto 100 mixed Blanks] go
through the Kiln and I always have mixed Timber and mixed Sizes from Small
Blanks upto much larger bits at 14" x 14" x 4" and Logs.

I have dried and eventually Turned successfully:-

Oak
Cherry
Beech
Ash
Holly
Burr Oak
Laburnum
Yew
Beech
Spalted Beech
Walnut
Pear
Apple
Horse Chestnut
Eucalyptus
Elm
Maple
Plus others I cant remember.

I would say success rate is about 90/95% but what the heck it is nearly
always free wood.

It took me along time to get round to building this because all the Myth's
put about on drying timber, which I'm sure are true if you wish to Dry
Furniture Quality Planks by the Ton?

But when I got my first Free Tree [A Pear Tree of about 30ft³] I thought it
was about time I tried my luck and I have never regretted it.

Have ago it is not that difficult.

RVS
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

"Greg Lyman" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have experience in building and operating a small kiln for drying

say
20 to 50 turning blanks at a time. I am primarily interested in
construction materials and operating information - not how kiln versus air
drying affects properties of the wood. Primary wood I am interested in
drying is English Walnut. Thanks!

Greg