Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default better lucky than smart

In article ,
Jim K wrote:

Wander the roads, not your thoughts. I was at the end of cutting a
bunch of little pieces on my table saw and my mind wandered. Next
thing I know I'm having a close encounter of the worst kind with my
table saw blade.

Count yourself lucky when all you end up with is a wide but shallow
scrape - whew....

I'm taking a break now :-)

Just before Christmas, I was routing some 'modified ogee' edges on 1/2"
x 4-1/2" solid surface discs, which I cut out from left-over
sink-cut-outs and give them away as coasters. Some are quite convincing
as 'granite-like' and they are popular as gifts.
As I was going through a stack of them, The Bluesy Side Of Jazz And The
Jazzy Side Of Blues came on NPR and the announcer was listing the stuff
he was going to be playing. With the router running in a table (granite)
I couldn't really make out who he was talking about. I shifted my
attention.
One of the coasters I was free-handing spun out of my hands and the
router bit geared the spin into the disc and it took off like a hockey
puck on steroids for about 18 feet (without dropping an inch in
elevation) and slammed into a plywood panel and found its way back to me
dropping at my feet.
The router bit also managed to take small piece of meat from my left
middle finger, making nose-picking awkward for a while..... or so I'm
told.