Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default What kind of saw to use?

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:35:51 -0600,
wrote:

When I had to cut the legs shorter on my table, I bought a table saw.
Now that the table is shorter, I need to cut the legs shorter on my
chairs. No one sells a chair saw. What should I buy for this?

Here's what I'd do. No special tools needed; it's about the
technique...

You'll need...

a flat surface that can accommodate all legs of the chair(s),
a pencil
clamps
fine tooth hand saw such as a dovetail saw
mirror
workbench
sandpaper

Procedure...
Place the chair on a flat surface. With a sharp pencil kept against
the flat surface trace around each leg. You may need a "riser" for
the pencil unless you just want to lower the chair 1/8". Position
and clamp the chair to the workbench. Use the mirror to monitor your
cut on the opposite side of the leg, else you will be bobbing your
head to see the cut. Chamfer the end of each leg with a file or
sandpaper. Easy.