Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Marx

Default What's 0 on boiler pressure gauge mean?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Set Square wrote:

Cheers Setty(!), however I have just done this and water is *very* slowly
seeping out of the join in the shaft, between where it turns. How
can I stop this? It is fine when fully open, but not midway.

It's leaking from the gland round the shaft - which needs to be tightened
or re-packed.

First try tightening the small nut nearest the end of the shaft. This
will compress the gland material onto shaft. If that doesn't work, remove
the nut, wind some fine hemp or string (but not nylon) round the shaft,
and refit and tighten the nut - so that the nut pushes the string down
into the gland region. With any luck, that will fix it.

And if that don't work, open that one fully again, and try turning down
the one on the other end of the rad instead ;-)

Good thinking! The first solution didn't work as there wasn't a smaller
nut, and tightening the larger one didn't change things, but using the shaft
on the other side seems to have done it.

You guys are great to have around!

I also fixed the ceased radstats in a couple of rooms by spraying them with
WD40 and hitting the pins with a hammer.

Have now ordered digital replacements for the wall timer and hall stat to
update things and give me more control. Looks like I'm almost there!