Larry Jaques

Default OT Gremlins have been busy!

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:10:18 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
pixelated:

Funny thing is, I'm not the sender. I hadn't even heard of the

recipients, all
of which were commercial establishments. Anyone out there having the same
"good luck"?

Yep, afraid so. Since yesterday morning I have received 2733 messages with
a virus attached (but removed by Norton Antivirus) and an unknown number
(probably a few hundred) of messages like you described where I was
supposedly the sender. The "From" address is one that I had posted on my
Web site for support (I knew better but never got around to hiding it until
now)

I, too, have received tons of virus-infected mail lately,
some with 3 virii apiece, some from "me"! Strange. I guess
it's almost time for the spammers to go back to school so
they're out in force, eh?

Just 2 weeks ago, after returning from vacation (9 days) to
a mailbox full of 5,000 spams and 9 valid messages, I went
to my host and turned off wildcarding. That cut about 500
per day. I have Spam Assassin going locally but am about
to let my host do it there since it works flawlessly.

I'm down to ~50 spams/day (5 addresses but most to the one
I have on my website; time to change/hide it there, too)
with SA catching 40 of them.

-
The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier.
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases