Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default 13 amp plugs - memories

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 22:13:53 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

explained on 07/01/2006 :
On 7 Jan,
sponix wrote:

Some old electrical fittings he

http://www.74simon.co.uk/plugs.html

Some misinformation on the clix plug, It did have a flex grip similar to that
in a bayonet lampholder. I think I still have one somewhere. It was very
useful.

It did - The flex came in through the hole in the cover and was gripped
by a conical peg on the base. The problem was that the top had to serve
the dual function of both gripping the flex and applying pressure onto
the brass pins to make a good connection - it didn't always suceed. The
brass pins were rather like a fat split pin, with the flex through the
hole trapped as you tightened the cover.

I remember. Quite ingenious, if a little unconvincing.

Has anyone noticed that we mostly managed to avoid killing ourselves
with unsleeved plugs, clix, light switches that hand unscrewed to reveal
the gubbins, bar fires etc etc.

Tim