Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default Can I run drill off of car battery

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jimi Hendrix" wrote in message

The voltage is right but the amperage may be way too high and fry the
drill--

the person who wrote this needs to enroll in a basic electricity class

too much amperage capacity in the voltage source will not fry anything,

device will only pull what it needs based on the resistance of the drill

or
whatever

he could hook up his drill to an industrial battery that is the size of

house, that is rated at 12V and 1 million amps, and it would not hurt

the
drill

That was my first thought, but with motors, the motor will generate a back
EMF and if it is not turning fast enough, it will burn out. The
rechargables will not usually be able to put out enough current long

enough
for this to hapen. Hooked to a car battery with a capacity of a few

hundred
amps and the drill could burn out very quick in a stalled situation.

Coreect. I have an old one that I do it with all the time. Just be careful
not to stall. If it starts to slow down back off. I have approached stall
many times without any trouble.

I don't know if the cigarette plug is adequate. I clamp it to the battery
terminals.