Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Can I run drill off of car battery

"Patrick Cleburne" patrick@@rebnet wrote in message
. ..
: wrote in message
: ...
: I got one of those Skil 12 volt battery drills. The battery
charger
: died. Skil told me the battery probably shorted. Well, by
the time I
: finish getting a new charger and battery, I may as well get a
new
: drill. I am not fond of Skil anyhow. However, rather than
toss the
: old drill, I am wondering if anyone has ever run one of these
off a
: car battery? I can easily rig a lighter plug and hook some
wires to
: the drill. It needs 12 volts and thats what the car battery
is. At
: least this way I can still use it around the car, and I also
have a
: 12v gel cell so I can use it portable.
:
: The voltage is right but the amperage may be way too high and
fry the
: drill-- but then if it did, no real loss.
:
:

Uhhhh, NO! What school did you go to?
The current depends on the VOLTAGE, especially in the DC world.
A car battery, with the exception of a fault like putting an
accidental short on it across the drill wires somehow, would
99.999% sure work fine both with and without the engine running.
A 1 ton 12V battery would work, too.
You'd want to be certain there could be no way to put a short
across the car battery, but that's easy to do.

Please quit guessing and rationalizing; it doesn't become you.

Pop