Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I run drill off of car battery

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:08:37 GMT, Steve Kraus
wrote:

Yes but whatever you do make sure it's fused. A lighter outlet on your car
is of course at the car's fuse panel and you can also use a type of lighter
plug that contains a fuse but if you're doing anything involving direct
connection to a car or other similarly large battery use some kind of in-
line fuse holder. A car battery can put out a huge amount of current in a
short, enough to melt small gauge wire and there's always the possibility
of a hydrogen explosion at the battery.

Thanks for all replies.
I agree on the fuse. I know the lighter socket is fused, but if I use
that gel-cell I will need a fuse. Does anyone have any idea of the
amperage draw on these drills?

Yes, I know Skil is crap. But I got the thing so I may as well use it
till its dead. Having a drill in the car is sort of handy actually.
One never knows when they might get a toothache while travelling.
---- Drill out tooth, fill with Bondo ---- LOL