Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Can I run drill off of car battery

wrote in message
I got one of those Skil 12 volt battery drills. The battery charger
died. Skil told me the battery probably shorted. Well, by the time I
finish getting a new charger and battery, I may as well get a new
drill. I am not fond of Skil anyhow. However, rather than toss the
old drill, I am wondering if anyone has ever run one of these off a
car battery?

Sure, many people have done it. Biggest problem is getting the car close
enough to the work, especially if you are putting up curtain rods in the
upstairs bedroom.

Skil tools are low end. They meet a price point for the infrequent user and
as in all battery drills, the battery is the first thing to go and can be
very expensive. On more expensive tools with better batteries, they can be
rebuilt and be more cost effective. Any of the "pro" models will cost from
$150 to $300. The Ridgid line is supposed to be good on the lower end.
Ryobi is cheap and batteries are about $25. If you want the best, look at
Panasonic, Bosch, Festool.