Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default Type of paint for bathroom walls and ceiling

In article .com, Myrna
says...

HI - I'm about to paint two bathrooms and before I buy paint I need
some help. I had wall paper for a long time. After removing the paper
in one of the baths, we found that mildew (orange - is this mildew?)
was growing on the ceiling. In this room the ceiling is shiny which I
think is not the right thing. Not sure if removal of the paper had
anything to do with this.

In the other bath, I had water damage on the ceiling. This ceiling is
done in flat. It took a long time (over 10 years) for the damage to
occur and then the paint became crazed.

I've read that bathrooms should not be done in flat paint but I'm not
sure what is recommended. I don't like when the walls look shiny. I've
picked a Home Depot Behr paint color. We've had good luck with this
brand in other rooms. I know Benjamin Moore is supposed to be a better
paint and we've used that a lot over the years. But the cost has gotten
out of sight.

So I am looking for guidance on ceiling paint as well as wall paint in
bathrooms that do not have ventilation fans. I don't plan to install
this either.

OK, you think Ben Moore is too pricey, but I've been really happy with the Ben
Moore mildew-resistant specialty bathroom ceiling paint, and egsheel Ben Moore
custom paint color on the bathroom walls. (Most of the bathroom is white 4"
tile with a blue and green folk-flower trim all around at one level.) The paint
color is one shade more intense than the hallway, living room, and one bedroom
that it shares most of the sightlines with.

Don't use flat - but eggshell or semi-gloss is fine.

But why cheap out on the paint? It's significant amount of labor, and you'll be
looking at it and living with it for awhile. By my reckoning, the cost delta is
much less than the labor, etc., that goes into it (although I'm the labor for
painting and enjoy the task, I make decent money in my livelihood and put value
on my time!)

Banty