Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

Default Can I run drill off of car battery

wrote in message
I got one of those Skil 12 volt battery drills. The battery charger
died. Skil told me the battery probably shorted. Well, by the time I
finish getting a new charger and battery, I may as well get a new
drill. I am not fond of Skil anyhow. However, rather than toss the
old drill, I am wondering if anyone has ever run one of these off a
car battery? I can easily rig a lighter plug and hook some wires to
the drill. It needs 12 volts and thats what the car battery is. At
least this way I can still use it around the car, and I also have a
12v gel cell so I can use it portable.

The voltage is right but the amperage may be way too high and fry the
drill-- but then if it did, no real loss.