Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

Default roofing questions

"RicodJour" wrote in message ups.com...
| Gntry wrote:
| I live in the North East, I see a new build house going up down the road,
| they have installed what looks like 5/8 OSB board roofing material. The
| joists are 16". I though you needed to install 3/4 for roofing?
| Would plywood have been better then OSB at least for the roof?
|
| Depending on the rafter spacing and roof loads, 1/2" is standard for
| 16" OC rafters. There's one village around here that still requires
| 3/4" roof sheathing. They're dinosaurs with lots of stupid code
| provisions. I've never seen 3/4" sheathing on new construction
| anywhere else.

3/4" means that one can walk on the roof without that vague feeling of being asea.

I have the 5/8 on my roof (code is really the minimum acceptable) and it sinks beneath my feet.

OSB vs. plywood is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. It just depends on how much one is willing to pay for roofing.

--
PDQ