Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

Default A Question for our European brethren.

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:22:25 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

They make an adapter for the bi-pin base bulbs to our American style screw
shell bulbs, but through bad design, it is conceivable that the customer
could reverse the adapter or change the plug and end up with the entire
metal exterior of the fixture attached to the hot side of the wiring. Even
in proper assembly it leaves the body attached to the neutral lead.

I hate Edison Screw lampholders. UK pattern BC fittings are much better.
Particularly for the SES pattern the self-unscrewing from thermal
cycling is a real annoyance.

Where we do have ES fittings, they're generally an improvement over the
simplest old style. It's not necessary to wire them so that the centre
is live ("hot") and the outside is neutral according to our rules, so
long as the lampholder used has an insulated outer body and the screw
contact is merely through a small metal finger at the side. This is
considered enough to enforce the "no touching the live wire"
requirement.