Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Marx

Default What's 0 on boiler pressure gauge mean?

"Set Square" wrote in message
Richard Marx wrote:

On another note, you may remember I have rad stats in all rooms,
except the hallway which has a wall stat. However, as this now works
correctly and overrides the whole system, I find the hall gets too
hot before the other rooms, IOW the hall radiator needs to be turned
down. However there is no control on the rad, I suspect for a reason.

Is it as simple as putting a plastic knob on the square turnable
shaft that was hiding under the coned white plastic cap, or will
reducing the flow to this rad affect the other rads in other rooms?

Advice appreciated on how to reduce the hall temperature, and
therefore the temp the wall stat shuts down at.

This rad should be fitted with two lockshield valves - so that it can't be
turned off by accident. But you can turn it down - either by using a
spanner on the square end of the shaft, or by temporarily fitting a knob.

Reducing the flow through this rad will marginally increase the flow
through the other rads. If the system has never been balanced, it would be
a good idea to do it now - with the thermostatic heads temporarily removed
from the TRVs while you do it. Balancing is important - even when you've
got TRVs - because it ensures that the whole house heats up evenly -
rather than relying on some rooms getting hot and shutting their TRVs
before you get any heat in the remaining rooms.

If the system is already in reasonable balance, you can get away with just
turning down the rad near the room stat - using trial and error to find
suitable valve settings.

Cheers Setty, however I have just done this and water is *very* slowly
seeping out of the join in the shaft, between where it turns. How can I
stop this? It is fine when fully open, but not midway.