Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Default 13 amp plugs - memories

d) translucent top with "live" neon indicator option
The -worst- thing is..... over 75% of their ignorant users only ever fit a
13A fuse instead of the lowest possible rating for the load!! If all
plugs in use were drawing 12A, the National Generators + reserve would be
vastly overloaded and would not cope!!

I suppose the correct fuse for the purpose is a good enough justification
for the factory fitted plug. I never understood why they didn't include a
fuse in the price - and let the customer select the size for the purpose -
instead of them always having a 13A fitted.

I recall our Hoover used to have a two pin plug - to do the bedrooms we had
a bayonet adaptor that had a 2 pin socket in it. It was a brown Bakelite
thing about 2 inches long. The plug had to be a tight fit or it kept falling
out.

Thinking back to the original note about getting home and fitting a new
plug - how often did we end up stuffing the wires into the socket because we
didn't remember to buy a plug? Learning to open the shutters was essential
early learning.

John