Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Default 13 amp plugs - memories

"john" wrote in message
Rummaging through my electrical stuff and realised I could throw away the
many 13 amp plugs I had removed from defunct appliances over the years. I
recalled the excitement of years ago of getting home with a new appliance
and a brand new MK Plug and taking care and pride in fitting the plug
really carefully. Now of course everything comes with a fitted plug.

Does anyone recall the plugs made by "Nettle" - they used to have a window
in them so that you could see the colour of the fuse. I always thought it
was a good idea.

----
John

I am sure other makes incorporated a recessed fuse cradle underneath held in
by a removable
clip showing in its window the fuse's colour/rating value.
The plug improved considerably when makers also added.....
a) non-return, tension-funelled nylon, barbed, cable grip inside entry
(MK?)
b) L and N pins insulator-gaitered near body, about 15 years ago for safety
(it is now
standard but conductor x-section is therefore smaller)
c) loop puller on some red plugs - for rheumatic /geriatric hands
d) translucent top with "live" neon indicator option
The -worst- thing is..... over 75% of their ignorant users only ever fit a
13A fuse
instead of the lowest possible rating for the load!! If all plugs in use
were
drawing 12A, the National Generators + reserve would be vastly overloaded
and would not cope!!
Now were there some more enhancements /ideas?....please fill in....
e)
f)
g)