Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper

Default varnish in cold weather

"dw" wrote in news:khHvf.711837$xm3.251798@attbi_s21:

So, after wanting to "get into woodworking" for 20 years, I've finally
started dabbling a bit. I endured several cold evenings in my
un-heated garage in the middle of this pretty cold Illinois winter. I
now have a small project I would like to varnish... but the varnish
says not to apply if it's below 55 degrees. My unfinished garage has
no heat, and won't be above 55 degrees for a couple of months. And I
can't varnish in the house because my wife can't handle the fumes.

Do I just have to wait for it to warm up?

Is it insulated? You can get a oil-filled space heater to heat your
garage if you've got power. We've got one in our garage to keep things
warm out there. (It's connected to the house, but not the heating/cooling
system.)

Can you isolate a room of your house? Maybe you can work in there and
keep the house from smelling like varnish and still warm enough to dry.
We've been polyurethaning floor boards in our garage for a shed and
shutting the door keeps the fumes from going all over the house. (It was
apparently an outside door at one time. You may have to consider that.)

Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.