Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

Default 13 amp plugs - memories

"john" wrote in message
Yes -
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/temp/img_3481.jpg

I don't remember those - but I can't see a problem. However, the maker
clearly didn't realise that only the end half actually makes contact so
the present design is fine. Perhaps it used to be different though. Any
ideas about the design philosophy of the sleeves in the photo?

Even though contact is only made at the end, it did add both strength to the
entire length, and meant the pin didn't have any narrow (and so lower
resistance) points to it. That resistance thing was a moot point though, as
the connection to the fuse is often the point of lowest resistance anyway,
so it tends to be the live pin that gets hot when supplying 13 amps.

I expect the main reason for that design is that there was not the variety
of plastics around then as there are now, so it was more difficult to make
sleeve on the pins that did not conduct electricty, was not too thick and
was not too brittle. That's my guess, at least.

-- JJ