Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

Default 13 amp plugs - memories

"john" wrote in message

Rummaging through my electrical stuff and realised I could throw away the
many 13 amp plugs I had removed from defunct appliances over the years. I
recalled the excitement of years ago of getting home with a new appliance
and a brand new MK Plug and taking care and pride in fitting the plug really
carefully. Now of course everything comes with a fitted plug.

Does anyone recall the plugs made by "Nettle" - they used to have a window
in them so that you could see the colour of the fuse. I always thought it
was a good idea.

I can better that [I think]. In our museum of the odd and outright
dangerous [stuff we have brought in off jobs or condemned] we have
An original sleeved MK Plug complete with ivory plastic spring loaded
retractable live and neutral pin sleeves. AND an MK plug with a bult in
switch.
Also we have a very nice earth joint on an old lead sheathed cable where
the 'jubilee clip' {nice...!} was a bit too big so the 'installer' had
taken up the 'slack' with a wooden clothes peg! "Death wish fuses"
where
the fuse wire was designed to be routed along the outside of the
carrier. A 3036 100A fuse complete with a pre-fluxed brazing rod for a
fuse-wire. 3/.029 [no earth conductor] that had been attached to a wall
by the use of nails being
knocked through the 'centre' of it. A 'T' jointed Pyro without glands,
pots or seals [didn't even break the conductors!!! still don't know how
he did it]...and many many more. Must go now as it's time for my
medication!!! g