Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical questions - cooktop and oven

Thanks Jim, thanks Bud.

220.55-table-note 1 the value that can be used for your units is
8KW +(5x5%) = 10KW = 41.7A @ 240V
(this is different from the value you came up with but still a 50A circuit)

Bud, you are right. For 7.2kW, combined kW is 8 + 8 x 24% = 9.92. (My
calculations were based on 8.4kW instead of 7.2, and I forgot to update
the post.)

422.31 allows a circuit breaker to be used as the disconnect but only if
in sight of the appliances or if equipped with a device to lock it open
(not likely in your case)

The circuit breaker (panel) is actually in the kitchen (just across the
oven and the cooktop), so I assume I'm OK. I'm going to reduce the
circuit to 50 amp (use the existing 6 gauge cable).

Thanks again.