Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Insulate and seal a furnace stack in the attic?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"damncold" wrote in message

Thanks for all the replies. I did make my way up there and yes, the
area around the stack is warm and the snow on the roof above it is
melted. I could not see well enough to determine how much space there
was around the stack. I would like to stop the stack itself from
heating the attic. I've checked at some home stores but no one seems
really confident if you can put insulation around a stack or not. And
if you could, what kind. Any ideas?

I told you what to buy last week. No, you won't find it at home stores, I
told you to go to a plumbing supply house It is used on steam pipe, and
boiler breeching all the time. It can take something like 2200 degrees.

That's good but at 2200 degrees his stack probably
won't be there to support the fiberglass.