Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

Default varnish in cold weather

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 04:17:20 GMT, "dw" scribbled:

So, after wanting to "get into woodworking" for 20 years, I've finally
started dabbling a bit. I endured several cold evenings in my un-heated
garage in the middle of this pretty cold Illinois winter. I now have a
small project I would like to varnish... but the varnish says not to apply
if it's below 55 degrees. My unfinished garage has no heat, and won't be
above 55 degrees for a couple of months. And I can't varnish in the house
because my wife can't handle the fumes.

Do I just have to wait for it to warm up?

What I often do for glue-ups is to bring the pieces of wood inside to
warm up, glue it up, put it on the bench, plug in a small ceramic
electric heater into a thermostat wired to an extension cord, put it
on the work-bench, put the heater under the bench and cover the whole
thing with a tarp. I don't know if this will work with varnish, but in
the immortal words of the late Paul Radovanic, "If you don't
experiment on scraps, you will experiment on your project."

Alternatively, you could try using shellac which is dissolved in
alcohol and is not harmed by cold. It just will take a little longer
to dry.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking