Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Canem

Default What is it? XCVI

R.H. wrote:
"Adam Smith" wrote in message

Oh, 552 is a bookbinders gold tooling roll. I assumed someone must have
already got it.

This answer is correct, otherwise know as an embossing roll, back tool,
blank roll or gilding roll; it's used to apply gold leaf to the leather
cover of a book.

While we're on the subject, I was surfing the web the other day and came
across a site (see below) that shows books that have fore-edge painting,
with the edge of the pages gilded with gold. It got me wondering how they
gild the edges without having the pages stick together. Anyone know the
answer to this?

http://www.grand-illusions.com/artic...edge_painting/

Here is your answer:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/d...dt/dt1528.html