Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A question about tax lien and how it affects home sale

miamicuse wrote:
I am looking at a property and the seller's agent told me the closing cannot
happen until June 1 2006. It's a vacant house. When I asked why he said
the current owner is very old and in a nursing home and did not even know
there is a lien on the house, that he has sold the house once before but the
title search came back with this and the deal fell through. He said it
should be OK because the 10 year anniversary is May 18 2006 so a June 1
closing date is realistic. What does this mean - 10 year anniversary? Does
a tax lien expire after 10 years?

Thanks,

MC

Yes it does - unless an attempt to foreclose on the owners mortgage for
taxes owing was made at any time during the 10 year period. Don't
listen to the seller's agent - listen to your lawyer.