Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default blue-green battery corrosion cleanup

Charles Schuler wrote:
"spudnuty" wrote in message
ups.com...

I had seen other posts here about using and have used vinegar to clean
the corrosion left from batteries leaking in battery powered devices.
The problem this time was corroded battery contacts in a remote
control. Since I was able to completely remove the board and had the
contacts dangling off one end I decided to heat the vinegar to boiling
as I have done for other projects. When I dipped the contacts into the
hot vinegar the corrosion bubbled right off in a matter of seconds. (Do
this in a well ventilated area). After a thorough rinsing and light
buffing the contacts were very clean albeit missing some material.
Richard

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is good.

Not for a leaking alkaline battery, baking soda will only make that
worse. For acid batteries obviously the reverse is true. One size does
not fit all.