Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

Default THD claims of audio signal generators

"Richard Crowley" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Jan 06 10:52:44)
--- on the heady topic of " THD claims of audio signal generators"

RC From: "Richard Crowley"
RC Xref: core-easynews rec.audio.tech:186148
RC sci.electronics.design:537334 sci.electronics.repair:354106

RC dpierce wrote...
Arny Krueger wrote:
AFAIK, *everything* in the JAES is peer-reviewed.

No, eberything is NOT necessarily peer-reviewed.
Engineering reports aren't necessarily peer-reviewed.

RC Yes, that was my experience. I published an engineering
RC report in JAES (from a presentation at the LA convention)
RC and it was not peer-reviewed. It was on a digital subject
RC in the mid-70s, so maybe they couldn't find anyone to
RC review it? :-)

Transistor amplifiers in the mid 70's were pieces of crap. They had no
idea what they were doing with respect to TIM and other time domain
anomalies. Often transistor amplifiers of that vintage would oscillate
ultrasonically and infrasonically when overloaded and it caused really
odd sonic artifacts that nobody realized or understood back then.

It really was a matter that transistor amps were basically
unpredictable when they clipped and tube amps generally behaved
nicely. This erratic behaviour was probably due to the comparatively
radical amounts of negative feedback used in transistor amps. Back
then, it was like comparing apples and oranges.

Fast forward the discussion 30 years into the future to today...
The real discussion should be if they both sound different under
linear operation? Musically I hear a difference but most might not.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... A stereo system is the altar to the god of music.