Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

Default Too close to a computer monitor?

"John Doe" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Jan 06 21:13:23)
--- on the heady topic of "Too close to a computer monitor?"

JD Subject: Too close to a computer monitor?
JD Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:354113

JD I'm wondering about radiation levels at close range to the
JD electronics of a computer monitor.

JD Specifically, I'm thinking about an animal lying on top of the
JD monitor vents when it's cold in the room (when monitor cooling is
JD not an issue).

JD Is there a significant difference in potentially destructive
JD radiation at that close range?

JD I vaguely recall hearing about some significant radiation at very
JD close range to specific components?

There is not enough voltage in a tv to produce significant X-rays.
Perhaps the strongest source of EM radiation is when the unit is first
turned on and the degauss circuit activates. Many times you may notice
that a lamp on the same circuit will flicker. When the unit is running
there is always a powerful radiation sweeping the area around it. Try
for example wearing some sensitive headphones and bringing your head
near the side of the unit and you will hear this field.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Dunno if we'll get that past the CSA und UL 'owever.