Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John DeBoo

Default morse tapers

Sears sells an MT2 that is threaded 1/2" x 20unf (abt $12) but you'll
need a sleeve or helicoil or something similar to add a regular face
plate. I bought it to add a Jacobs 1/2" drill chuck to. Got the chuck
at Harbor Freight for $5.
John

dustyone wrote:
Hi,

I have an old Craftsman lathe (from around 1950). The spindle has no
threads, only a flat onto which the faceplate is attached with a set
screw. This poses a problem when I want to use a bowl turning chuck,
all of which seem to screw on to the spindle. My question is, does a
morse taper exist, which comes out to a threaded section, onto which I
could screw a chuck? Should I take the spindle to a machine shop, and
have threads put on it? Is there another way for me to get a bowl
chuck onto this lathe?

Thanks

Curt Blood