Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Wind fence question

BeBo wrote:
Anybody know of any good sources of info on these things?

me me pick me i know

No, actually you don't.

maybe a 6' privacy fence and arrange the pickets
on both sides of the fence at every other one see.

one on, one off...
do the same but opposite filling in the holes on the other side

for the roof? don't worry...wind would break on the fence...
but not be directed to the roof...

sorta like...

it would hit the fence and splatter everywhere

you're thinking the fence would act like a ramp, but it will not.
and, I will help break some of the wind yes.

Yes, actually it would. Wind doesn't "splatter". By blocking it's
path the fence will create an area of higher pressure in front of the
fence, and a corresponding area behind the fence of lower pressure.
The wind encountering that area of higher pressure will go up, over and
around the "obstruction". Depending on the height of the fence,
proximity to the house, roof configuration and expected wind velocity,
the OP may very well have reason for concern.

You've never built a fence to shield a shelter from high winds, and
neither have I. The difference being I know what's involved and you
don't. You really should attempt to confine your advice to things with
which you are familiar. When you figure out what those things are,
let us know.

go 6' privacy, arrange pickets anyway is fine

go 2' down with post bottom, use 80lb bag per post bottom
use 2x4 on runners, use (check this out buddy) use.. 5/4 x 6 on the pickets
or fabric as some might call it.
(decking material)

What are your recommendations for materials, drainage, fasteners?

makes for a permanent life time fence

Lifetime if you're not planning on living very long.

To the OP: Your state's department of agriculture, or similar, will
have information on building such fences.