Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
Alan Sung

Default Pricing a new countertop material - what's your experience?

"mcburja" wrote in message
oups.com...
I appreciate all of your responses. Here's the thing. In my region,
the ratio of material price to installed price varies greatly by
product. At the installed level, solid surface and granite are roughly
equivalent, with engineered quartz coming in at roughly 20% above that.
Laminate comes in at about 25% of the price of SS and granite. So
while it's relatively easy to check the retail price of materials, the
installed price is much harder to get at. In my market, the price
point I'm heading for would be right between plam and granite.

Call me naive, but I was hoping to get a very high level idea of how
these kinds of comparisons look elsewhere, just to judge the
variability. I've never used Usenet before, but a book on new product
development suggested this forum as a good place to get some very
preliminary feedback.

This is certainly not the only avenue I'm persuing, but I felt it
couldn't hurt to ask. Perhaps I was mistaken.

OK, I'll bite. This information is from the Boston,MA area for Fall 2005
pricing:

1 1/4" Blue Eyes: $95/sq ft
1 1/4" Blue Pearl GT: $65/sq ft
1/4" Radius: $18/linear ft
3/4" x 4" Back splash: $28/linear ft (blue pearl), $39/linear ft (blue eyes)
Undermount sink cutout: $275
Mount sink to stone: $100
Template & installation: $21/sq ft

These figures are based on CNC machined edges which are higher than hand
ground edges.

So what is this new countertop material you are considering? In my opinion,
there is an extremely high resistance to any new building material until it
has developed some track record, but then you end up with a chicken and egg
problem.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA