Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Stewart Pinkerton

Default THD claims of audio signal generators

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 07:12:51 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Actually, it's a piece of **** if you're using CD as a source, since
you can set system gain to sit just below clipping for 0dB FS from the
CD. That's what I do with my '50 watt' Krell.

Very true.

If you knew the settings for the cutter lathe you could do the same for vinyl too,
despite some audiophools not understanding this point ( they think it has unlimited
dynamic range it seems ! ).

Yes, but there's a massive variation in maximum groove velocity, from
say EMI 'Music for Pleasure' at one end, to the Sheffield Track and
Drum records at the other. Setting your system gain to avoid clipping
at 30cm/sec will make for very quiet listening to most commercial
output!