Posted to sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
sofie

Default 60 hertz hum

CJT:
Some years ago when I was in the pro-audio installation business for an on
the road entertainment company, us installation techs would always carried
about a dozen "u-ground" 3 wire to 2 wire ground adapters in our tool boxes
so the ground could be temporarily "lifted" on various pieces of gear to
eliminate ground loops and the subsequent hum problems. (don't cut off
ground pins on the plugs of equipment) Usually the problem would originate
because remote equipment was on a different circuit from the breaker box and
was located some distance from the main head-end gear.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"CJT" wrote in message
Mark Moulding wrote:

Something you might try (although you didn't hear it from me)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In other words, you recognize what a bad idea this is.

is completely
disconnecting the ground pin on your computer. You didn't mention what

kind
of computer you're using, but if it's a laptop, grounding isn't too
essential. (In fact, having a permanently lifted [broken off, actually]
ground pin on mine has several times saved my laptop from almost certain
major damage when connected to equipment with a ground fault - a common
problem in my line of work.)

In my case, I'm also using a laptop for a home music recording studio (I
know, not the best choice, but it was sitting around...). All of the

audio
I/O is via an external high-quality device, but ground loop hum was

killing
me, *even though everything was plugged into the same outlet strip*.
Breaking off the computer's power supply ground pin completely solved

the
problem.
--
Mark
"I prefer heaven for climate, hell for company."

"Dennis" wrote in message

I'm running the output of my computer to my stereo aamplifier.
I'm getting an annoying 60Hz hum through both speakers. This
occurs with all inputs and outputs muted. If I unplug the plug from
the back of the computer the hum stops. Help please,

Dennis