Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tony Wells

Default morse tapers

MT arbours are available ready threaded for a chuck at one end, but also
threaded for a draw bar which then goes through the head stock to a
retaining nut on the other side of it from the chuck. They are in the region
of £5 - £10 on EbayUK, which is about $9 - $18, plus the cost of a bit of
allthread and a nut for the drawbar. This would stop the chuck and arbour
working loose from the MT socket. Look in the general lathe secion, rather
than the woodturning one though.

Tony Wells.

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"dustyone" wrote: (clip)does a morse taper exist, which comes out to a
threaded section, onto which I could screw a chuck? (clip)
It would be risky to try that. The weight of a chuck, plus the wood would
put a side load on the Morse taper that would probably make it loosen.
Add to that the possibility of a catch twisting the taper.

The "Shopsmith" solution is probably your best bet. Don't invest too much
in this. My guess is you will be upgrading to a better lathe within a
year. So, if you buy a chuck, make sure it has a replaceable insert.