Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

Default morse tapers

"dustyone" wrote: (clip)does a morse taper exist, which comes out to a
threaded section, onto which I could screw a chuck? (clip)
It would be risky to try that. The weight of a chuck, plus the wood would
put a side load on the Morse taper that would probably make it loosen. Add
to that the possibility of a catch twisting the taper.

The "Shopsmith" solution is probably your best bet. Don't invest too much
in this. My guess is you will be upgrading to a better lathe within a year.
So, if you buy a chuck, make sure it has a replaceable insert.