Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew H. Wakefield

Default Help with this clutch (TrayTop lathe)

I found a patent number on the clutch inside the Cincinnati TrayTop lathe --
patent number 1753085. If anyone has the time, take a look at the patent.
The following link may get you the

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/1753085

If that doesn't work, try this link, and type in the patent number:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

You'll need to follow the links to download a TIFF viewer if you don't
already have one -- it didn't take long even over dialup.

Here's my question. I now see how to adjust my clutch (mine is slightly
different, but the adjusting mechanism is essentially the same), but I still
don't understand how the clutch is supposed to "lock" in the engaged
position. Surely the lever that slides the engagement mechanism isn't
supposed to keep applying pressure--is it? I would think that would make for
rapid wear, plus there doesn't seem to be anything in the linkage that would
make for some sort of lock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Andy