Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Peter Larsen

Default FM hiss, vintage 1973 receiver

Isaac Wingfield wrote:

Your comment about the 10 dB reduction in dynamic range is
not correct.

I make no claim of knowing the facts of this, and I am very glad that
you take the time to explain it.
I am also puzzled, because my understanding was that the difference
channel only was broadcast without preemphasis. By the rationale of
compatibility with mono receivers your claim that M as well as S are
broadcast without preemphasis is an impossibility.

"S" does not mean "stereo", it means "side" as is this about Mid Side
Stereo. I may be wrong, but I do not from your explanation understand
myself to so be and I think your wording "there is de-emphasis which
does not apply to the composite stereo signal" should have been "there
is a deemphasis which does not apply to the difference signal".

The difference channel is exactly that: the analog sum
of the right channel and the inverted left channel.

And *because* it is the difference channel it signal appears in opposite
polarity in the left and right stereo channels after matrixing. Summing
L and R mathematically eliminates it.

I see you are posting from Denmark. To be fair, I do not
know the technical details of stereo broadcasting in Europe;
it may indeed be different from what is done here in the states.

There is a difference in time constant of emphasis/deemphasis, but I
will leave specs to those that know them. I can not really bridge your
detailed explanation to a simple "I am wrong because so and so" that
fits my points and voids them, but it may be because I am listening to
BBC televison while reading news ...

Our cable FM is btw. atrocious, I think they recevive the RF via a
tuner, AD converts it, bitreduces it again, DA converts and retransmit
as FM on the local cable net - are they equally insane over your way?

Isaac

Kind regards

Peter Larsen