Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m

Default It's long, thin and I've only got one?

Hi All,

So, I've just ventured into the TFT assembly on my (flickering
display) Dell Inspiron 8100, thinking I was going to find two
'backlights' , one down each side?

The reason I though this is:

1) I thought I read somewhere on the net 'Tubes x 2' for this model?

2) When the screen does illuminated propery (and I've seen it on for
an hour once) it's lit all the way across but when it starts to fail
(by flickering usually) it looked like it was darker on the left half
of the screen (so in fact half of the tube was lighting fully)?

So far I have only found one and that runs along the bottom of the
(15.1") display and *is* very long (31cm) and thin (2mm dia)!

So as the output from the invertor only seems to go to this one lamp
can I assume there *is* only one in this model please?

I'm gonna order a couple from the states (2 tubes delivered to the UK
for half the price I would pay for just the tube over here shrug)
and I'm getting two just-in-case something should go wrong while I'm
fitting it or it turns out the invertor is damaging the tube etc?

Any thoughts comments welcomed .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m