Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default An acronym free musing about hired turners. L&S(long and silly)

This discussion, as the famous "Robert" noted, has been raging on
WoodCentral for way too long.

I really love the way Robert laid it all out in his first response, it
was perfect.

To Robert, why don't you post your first response on WC? I think a
lot of people over there would like to read it; and if you already did
post it and I missed it, I do apologize. I really don't read every
post on every thread.

There have been some great comments here and I really can't disagree
with any of them. My suggestion to those famous turners who are
complaining about plagiarism is to demo their "technique" only. For
instance (and I'm only using these people as examples, they are all my
friends) Andi Wolfe should demo coloring cats and dogs on boxes. J.
Paul Fennell should demo thin walls and pierce geese on platters or
Cindy Drazda could demo really tall, thin finials on bottle stoppers
(on stainless steel ones of course!).

Another great observation here was that the famous who are complaining
the most are not really "all-around turners" but rather just have a
signature piece or technique. A number of years ago Bob Rosand told
me "Don't ever become famous for one thing". You'll all notice I took
his advice!

In Ohio a group of us had this whole discussion (over a few beers),
there was Richard Raffan, Ray Key, Chris Stott, Jimmy Clewes, John
Jordan, J. Paul Fennell and us common folk. It was very interesting
(possibly the beers helped loosen a few of us up!) and the biggies all
admitted they still have to do more or less ordinary turning, teaching
and demos to pay the bills. These particular turners were not in the
least concerned with any of us stealing anything from them because, as
Raffan said, "we need all the turners to help us make a living and if
we stop teaching them how to do what we do, we're done." One of the
others (I think it was Ray Key; what a sense of humor that guy has!)
made the observation that (I'm paraphasing here) "we belong to a very,
very tiny community and we notice any and all attempts at copying" and
"there are more Avon ladies in the world than woodturners". I loved
that last statement and it is probably true. Outside of shows or
internet forums see how many people you say "I'm a woodturner" to who
will NOT just give you a blank stare!

Personally, I find it amusing and sometimes embarrassing (instance one
"hat man" to another) the way supposedly professional people behave and
react. Again a Ray Key quote, "I get a thrill if after a class a
turner shows me a rather splendid repo of my work and says 'Look what I
did!' "

This was just going to be one comment about how much I enjoyed Robert's
post and look how I've run on. Sorry

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com