Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default An acronym free musing about hired turners. L&S(long and silly)

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message

It was the Irish grind, then the English couldn't live with that, so it
became the "Celtic" grind.

Implying what? That it came from somewhere in Europe? Ireland doesn't have
the monopoly on Celtic heritage you know.

As an Englishman I would prefer they used the term Irish. That would at
least put things in context both geographically and historically. I for
one have nothing against the vast majority of Irish people, and I am sure
that is true of most English people. So please don't go propagating that
divisive myth.

Oh well, what the heck.

Liam O'Neill is the individual I first saw identified with the practice of
grinding back the ears of the "new" ground-flute gouges. Lots of folks
were trying to make this new cheap substitute for the long and strong gouge
more useful. See the interview at
http://www.turningwood.com/ellsworth2.htm Not surprisingly, they began
with the same technique employed with its predecessor to make it less grabby
inside an opening - they took the edges off. I suppose we can excuse the
puffery of the salesman who claims he discovered the way to take the thrust
of turning on the rest versus the turner, and note he is absolutely right
that smaller diameter cylindrical gouges work better with steeper edges. My
four bowl gouges follow that principle, though I must admit, until today I'd
never seen it articulated by anyone else. I have been chided, mocked and
even insulted by a bunch of folks for saying so, however.

Messenger versus message attitude. Same one that makes an issue over
whether a rose would really smell as sweet if it were called a turnip.