Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Flywheel on a rotary phase convertor

Chris sez:

" I would say that the RPC idler and load motors are in parallel in a
topological sense. However, the current flow within the windings of the
motors will be very different from what would be seen if the two motors
were connected in parallel across a three phase supply. I suspect that
this is the root of the disagreement here."

Well, how's that for getting at the crux of the biscuit, eh? Semantics are
us! You display a depth of understanding that goes way past most of the
arguments set forth in this thread. Your description, above, very aptly
conveys a depth of appreciation for the manner in which currents must flow
in a RPC. Perhaps in trying to describe those currents, my use of the term
"convoluted" was an unwise choice. I suppose it was not "technically
precise" enough for some of the intelligencia on RCM for they sought to jump
on words and skip over any element of mutual comprehension. Apparently
there was no "mutual comprehension" save for maybe Jim Rozen and yourself.

Parallel was another bad choice of words - although it apparently had more
technical appeal to those that demand precise engineering definition. Many
of the respondents chose to pick on the absolute definition of "parallel"
while totally overlooking the context in which it was used.

Bob Swinney