Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Daisy chaining three radiators off a single trv

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:27:47 -0800, Seri wrote:

Hello and a joyous new year to one and all, I have a hopefully a very
quick and simple question.
Our kitchen has a small bay window that currently also houses a tiny
radiator that seems to be neither use nor ornament. I've taken
measurements and worked out that I can just fit three radiators into
the space, one along each edge of the bay but I doubt I can squeeze a
TRV onto each as well.
Is it feasible to fit a single TRV onto the first radiator and then
simply daisy chain the other two from it to effectively make one large
radiator?

Any thoughts on why this would or wouldn't work would be extremely
appreciated.

I'd agree with the other posters that this will work, but there will be a
difference in temperature between the rads. Alternatively (and more
complicatedly) you could plum them in parallel - again with one TRV
controlling all 3. I've done this several times for pairs of rads in rooms
with pairs of windows, one rad under each window: not so much to save
money on the TRVs as to save the user having to adjust 2 TRVs at a time.

Incidentally where several rads have been trung together I've sometimes
seen them connected at both top and bottom ports. Anyone got any theories
on why this is done?

Three rads. in at bottom on first. The centre is connected via the tops to
each either side and the return at the bottom of the last. It keeps the
temps along the three more even.