Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The places, as I have said before, where battery cars score is
- if nuclear electricity is available off peak dirt cheap

That's a very big 'if'. I'm old enough to remember when it was said
nuclear power stations would provide electricity so cheaply there would be
no need to meter it. This of course never happened. And *even* if the
running costs of a nuclear station are relatively low, the vast capital
costs have to be paid for somehow. Same with wind, wave or water power.

- in urban situations, where the idling of an IC engine is particularly
wasteful..and extreme range is not an issue.

I'd concede that - the first economic uses should be taxis and delivery
vehicles. However, apart from milk floats and Harrods vans this seems
never to have been the case. And modern technology ups the purchase price.

- in luxury cars, where the drive qualities make for a very smooth ride.

Not the way the makers see it.

They do.

Apart from the Lexus SUV which is a hybrid
anyway,

With an electric motor.