Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Default abbreviations

Mike Berger wrote:
Isn't clarity the point of communications? Why make it more

Sure, but every community has it's slang. It doesn't take long to pick
up the meaning. You can either google or ask. T'aint no big thang.

obscure than necessary? It's also very selfish and ethnocentric,
since this newsgroup encompasses a worldwide community. It's
enough that we force everybody to use English. We shouldn't

Oh poppycock. Nobody is forcing anybody to post in English. Just so
happens that this news group was created by Americans so it's in
English. There's plenty of other news groups out there in other
languages. I stumbled into a German one once. Didn't hang out long but
certainly didn't think it selfish or ethnocentric that they weren't
posting in a language that I speak. Non-english speakers are more than
welcome to start a turning newsgroup in whatever language they want.

also force them to learn silly jargon... unless they're
middle school kids using ICQ.

ICQ? ICQ? Oh no, not another TLA!!!!

Sheesh. Some folks would complain if you hung 'em w/a new rope...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb