Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt Stachoni

Default Flutes questions

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:40:59 -0800, David wrote:

Using a 1/4" diameter round nose bit to make flutes, should the depth be
set to 1/8" and the spacing between the flutes be equal to their width
(1/4") for best appearance?

Sounds good to me, although the diameter should be proportional to the
overall width of the workpiece. I've designed a few bars with fluted
columns using similar measurements, usually 3/8"R. I usually leave 2x
the flute width on either side of the flute field and the corners, in
this case 1/2" or 3/4".

Any recommendations for fading stopped flutes to a point if I don't have
gouges? I know how to fade beads on my moulder, but not how to
accomplish the same thing with the router table for consistency across
all the flutes.

Thinking out loud, I'd probably do it with a handheld router, and fix
a jig with two small ramps to the end, on either side of where the
flutes would end. Run the router up the ramps to fade the flutes
evenly every time.

- Matt