Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism
Glenn

Default FS. Lincoln Tig 250/250

My old 95 cougar had the 3.8 and they recalled it for headgaskets. Seems
they didn't use graphited headgaskets with aluminum heads.
Glenn
"wayne mak" wrote in message
I think ford had problems with the 3.8 not the 3.0. That ford 3.0 while not
a real power house is a very durable engine. They will go 200,000 miles
plus and still run very good.
"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:58:54 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
news I need to fire sale a welder, to pay for putting another engine in my
work truck..shrug. Had the brand new rotor destroy the brand new
distributor cap, cross fire and blow out a head gasket. Now Ive a very
nice steam generator on 4 wheels..damnit.

What type of truck and engine? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Peter

Its a 94 Mazda B3000, 3.0 engine.

The truck has 386,000 miles on it, with this being the second engine,
installed right at 100,000 miles ago. This particular model engine,
when well taken care of, goes on average, 300,000 miles. I replaced
the original at 285,000.. However..the original needed both head
gaskets at 124,000, and doing some research on the net..it appeared
that there was an issue about this in model years 87-95, with this
model/implimentation engine. The engine I had installed, came out of a
totaled 88 Taurus (same short block) with about 15,000 miles on
it..and I didnt see any need to replace the head gaskets so didnt.

The kid that I helped swap out the engine the last time, has recently
opened up his own shop..he is very good..and in the morning Im taking
it over to him and we are going to pull down that head (we think its
#3, based on compression readings and the fact the brand new plugs I
put in it yesterday..came out with a smidge of rust on it today..from
#3. All cylinders yesterday had 145lbs. #3 had 95..so it may well
have been a long term issue. No water in the oil, no obvious bubbling
in the water yesteday..but that crossfire may well have finished it
off today. Assuming a non cracked block or cracked head. Shrug..if its
a cracked head ..there is a problem, worse if its a block. Head..I
might be able to tig and close up (steel engine)..block..its time for
another engine..which I have one available..from yet aother 89
Tauruse, with about 90,000 on it. Guy owes me a favor or 3..him having
been using about 5 machine tools, lathe, mill etc of mine in his shop
for some time now. The money Im trying to generate is for labor for
the kid..his brother in law shop rate is $65hr, and doing a shortblock
replace and setup takes about 16 hrs...plus materials.

Shrug..tommorow will tell if Im ****ed or not. I love this truck..its
been the best Ive ever owned and I of course, as a machine tool repair
guy, need a truck..and someday will replace it with a similar
truck..or the rebadged version..the Ranger XLT..but..it aint in the
cards at the moment.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner