Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Airtight IC Recessed Lighting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I am planning on putting in 4 additional recessed lights in my family
room (there are two
existing that are pointing at my fireplace). I have a two questions:

1) Above the family room is my attic, which is easily accessible. Can
I buy the new construction kind, or should I get the remodel ones? The
new construction ones
seem to be a lot sturdier looking and maybe easier to install? (I just
have to move
the installation out of the way above, install it, and then put the
insulation back?)
Is it that easy?

2) How do the "airtite" housings seal against the drywall ceiling? I
looked at a couple
of these at Home Depot, and I saw that all the openings in the top and
side of the housing are plugged, but there was no seal or gasket on the
bottom to seal around the hole that is cut
in the drywall. It appeared that the metal base just sits on the
drywall.
I checked online and Halo's website says they are supposed to have a
stick on gasket on
the bottom. Maybe the ones at Home Depot were missing this piece?

Thanks in advance,
Ted in MI

Air tight and recessed can are some what misnomers. You can get recessed
cans but unless they are lensed they are not really air tight. Think
shower fixture trim. Some are tighter than others.

Some cans are IC/thermally protected. A lot of the borg store stuff is not.
IC does depend on manufacture how close you can install insulation. I only
install the ones that can be burried in insulation directly. They only cost
a couple of bucks more but I can sleep at night when someone's misses
decides to install that 200 watt light bulb.

Pick a size you like and then shop around. I install CF in most of the cans
with switches. I prefer levels of light to dimmers.